Many pet owners would like to give their dogs something tasty in addition to the dog kibble they normally feed their pets.
Dog owners should exercise caution when feeding their pets anything, including meat scraps and doggy treats. Dogs may not be able to safely eat many human foods.
It’s natural to wonder, “What kinds of flours are acceptable for canines?” when faced with the prospect of whipping up a tasty treat for your canine companion. Many pets are allergic to wheat, so using alternatives like almond flour is a good idea.
Is it possible for your dog to eat almond flour? In a word, yes. However, only give your dog a very small amount of almond flour at a time.
Let’s dive into the pros and cons of feeding your dog almond flour so you can make an informed decision about whether or not to include it in your dog’s diet.
Can Dogs Have Almond Flour?
Almond flour can be safely used to make treats for dogs, but it should not replace the dog’s regular diet.
Even though almond flour has some health benefits for dogs, giving them too much of it can be dangerous.
Introducing a new food, like almond flour, should be done slowly to ensure your dog’s digestive system can handle it.
Benefits of Almond Flour for Dogs
Some studies have shown that feeding your dog almond flour rather than white flour can improve his or her health. Vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, protein, healthy fats, and dietary fiber can all be found in the gluten-free flour.
It’s a healthier alternative to whole wheat flour because it has fewer carbs. The nutritional value of almond flour means it could be a good option for your dog’s diet.
3 Health Risks of Almond Flour for Dogs
The following health problems can occur if you give your dog excessive amounts of almond flour.
1.Too much almond flour in your dog’s diet can cause dehydration, so watch the amount you give them.
2.Irritability in the intestines; the high fiber content of almond flour is helpful for digestion, but only to a point. Your dog may experience tummy trouble if it consumes too much fiber. Diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and vomiting are all symptoms.
3.While almond flour is low in carbohydrates, it is high in calories and fat, which may cause your dog to gain weight unhealthily and cause pancreatitis. A dog’s pancreas can become inflamed if it is fed an excessively high-calorie diet.
Why Can’t My Dog Consume Xylitol?
It’s possible to find xylitol in a wide variety of flours. Though it’s humanely safe, this sugar alcohol is highly poisonous to canines. Small doses can cause seizures, organ failure, and even death in your pet.
In dogs, xylitol poisoning can cause symptoms like:
- Standing or moving around is a chore
Talk to your vet right away if you suspect your dog has consumed xylitol.
How to Safely Feed Your Dog Almond Flour
Almond flour can be a healthy addition to your dog’s diet if you follow these steps.
1.Select high-grade materials. You should use the best almond flour or almond meal you can find. Flour with a high oil content spoils quickly, so use only freshly milled flour that hasn’t been tampered with in any way. The sugar substitute xylitol is extremely poisonous to canines and should be avoided at all costs.
2.Just use basic ingredients and techniques. It’s best to keep dog treats, whether homemade or purchased, to a minimum of ingredients. Try to find dog treats made with almond flour that have few ingredients. Almond butter (a non-nut alternative to peanut butter) and almond milk (a dairy-free alternative) follow the same logic. Sweeteners and other additive-filled brands should be avoided.
3.Use restraint when serving. Stick to the 10% rule, which states that a dog’s treat intake (including dog-safe human foods) should never exceed 10% of its total daily calorie intake. Vet-recommended dog food should make up the other 90% of your dog’s diet.
What Flours Should I Avoid Feeding My Dog?
All of the following flours are extremely unhealthy for dogs and should never be fed to them:
Other Types of Dog-Safe Flours
Your dog can also eat these other types of flour:
- Stone ground, whole wheat flour
- Flour milled from brown rice
- Using coconut meal
- Oat flour
- Milled chickpeas
How to Feed Your Dog Almond Flour
Organic almond flour baked goods with no other ingredients can be a special treat for your pet.
Keep your pet away from pure almond flour. Baked goods that are safe for dogs, like a dog-friendly biscuit or pup-cake, are a better option.
Products made with organic almond flour are safe for canines, but regular feeding of almond flour is not recommended. Give him a baked bone once in a while.
Avoid giving your pet any flour that has any kind of artificial ingredient in it, especially xylitol. Please consult your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested xylitol.
In that case, use some organic almond flour to make some tasty treats for Fido. He’ll feel the same way you do about it.