Nectarines are a delicious and nutritious summer fruit that are high in vitamins A and C, magnesium, potassium, and dietary fiber. But can dogs eat nectarines?
While the nutrients in nectarines may be helpful for our canine and feline friends, there are risks associated with giving them to your dog.
Determine whether or not feeding your dog nectarines is safe, and if so, how much and how often.
Are Nectarines Safe for Dogs?
Nectarines are safe to give to Fido, unlike other fruits like grapes.
However, nectarines have a higher sugar and fiber content, so only very small portions (think one to two slices for a small breed, or up to four or five for a larger dog) should be given.
Too much fiber can cause digestive issues in your dog, and nectarines are a high-fiber fruit.
Canned nectarines, which often contain preservatives and added sugar, should be avoided if you plan to share nectarines with your dog. While the fruit’s flavor and color are preserved with these preservatives, the added sugar is bad for your pet’s health.
Too much sugar in your dog’s diet can lead to health problems like diabetes and obesity, and can also negatively affect your dog’s teeth.
Can Eating Nectarines Benefit Dogs?
Nectarines, like peaches, are an excellent source of vitamin C. In addition to being high in fiber, they are rich in vitamin A, magnesium, and potassium.
Although our dogs may benefit from the other nutrients in nectarines, it is not necessary to provide them with this fruit because their bodies can produce all the vitamin C they require.
Some people think that giving a dog extra vitamin C after it’s eaten something toxic like garlic or onion powder is a good idea, but the evidence for this is weak at best.
As an added bonus, the dietary fiber in nectarines is good for a dog’s digestive system and can help prevent both diarrhea and constipation.
The vitamin A in peaches and nectarines can improve your dog’s eye health, skin, and fur, and the potassium in these fruits can help your dog’s body maintain proper fluid balance and ensure the proper functioning of numerous enzymes, muscles, and nerves.
Due to its role in vitamin absorption, magnesium is another essential nutrient for canines. It helps your dog’s bones stay strong and supports the activity of numerous enzymes.
The Dangers of Nectarines for Dogs
While nectarines aren’t poisonous to canines, that doesn’t mean you should give your pet free reign to snack on as many as he wants. The high sugar content of fruits like nectarines poses a health risk to your dog because it can cause gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea if consumed in excess.
In addition, rotten nectarines can be harmful to your dogs because they produce ethanol, which is poisonous to them. Finally, never let your dog near the pit of a nectarine.
These pits are not only dangerous because of the cyanide they contain, but also because the pits themselves pose a choking hazard or can cause an intestinal blockage if swallowed.
Watch for symptoms like vomiting, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and lethargy in your dog after he or she has ingested a nectarine pit (or a peach pit).
Before feeding your dog any human food, including nectarines, always check with your vet to make sure it’s safe.
If you do get the green light, introduce the food slowly (with just a slice or two) and keep an eye on your pet to make sure there are no adverse reactions.
Nectarines, like other sugary fruits, should never be given to an overweight dog or a dog with a medical condition like diabetes or digestive issues.
How Can I Safely Give Nectarines To My Dog?
Nectarines can be eaten right out of the box or with only the barest of modifications. It’s essentially the same as getting ready to eat one by yourself.
While your dog probably won’t have any trouble digesting the nectarine’s flesh, it’s still a good idea to give the outside a good scrub. Although harmful pesticides may still be on the surface of fruits, they can be easily washed away with a good scrub.
Then, just as you would for yourself, cut the nectarine in half, remove the pit, and dice it into small pieces to serve to your dog.
You should never give your dog a whole nectarine or let it chew on the pit of one. Cyanide, which is commonly found in fruit pits, is extremely poisonous to dogs.
Nectarine will probably be accepted by your dog if they have previously liked peaches. For safety’s sake, though, it’s best to take baby steps.
Give it a few hours even if they like it to rule out any allergic reactions. Even if something does come up, it usually goes away on its own, but it’s still important to talk to your vet about it just in case.
Remember that this is a fruit that is high in sugar. Thus, reserve it for special occasions only!
How Much Should My Dog Have?
The amount you feed your dog should be adjusted based on its size. If you have a rottweiler instead of a toy poodle, for instance, your dog will have a much larger appetite.
If your dog eats too much nectarine, what will happen to him? The high fiber content, however, poses two major health risks for dogs:
Dogs with diarrhea after eating a lot of nectarine pieces. Dehydration and other complications may result from this. The best thing you can do for a dog with diarrhea is to give it lots of water and monitor its intake.
While nectarines’ primary benefit is the fiber they contain, eating too many of them can cause an upset stomach.
If your dog has a stomachache, they may be listless and uncharacteristic of their usual self. You can prevent this by limiting their nectarine intake, but know that it won’t last forever.
Dogs shouldn’t regularly be fed more than a few small pieces of nectarine. Always keep in mind that the larger the dog, the more they can take on. Yet exercise caution as you move forward.
Remove the Pit
Never feed your dog the pit of a nectarine. Fruits that contain pits are risky for a variety of reasons. Some of the most frequent are as follows:
Nectarines are harmful to your teeth because they contain hard pits. As a result, if your dog gets a hold of it, it could potentially cause dental damage. If the break extends below the gum line, the entire tooth must be extracted to prevent further jawbone disease and infection.
The pit of a nectarine has rough edges that can cut your dog’s esophagus if he eats it. The lining of a dog’s esophagus is extremely delicate and can easily be damaged by chemicals or trauma.
This can cause irritation of the esophagus or even an ulcer. Your dog’s discomfort from these issues may prevent him from eating. Pneumonia can set in if it completely rips.
Surgery is often necessary to remove a nectarine pit that has made its way into a dog’s stomach or intestines and caused an obstruction.
Abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are all symptoms of this blockage. This is by far the most common issue reported by pet owners whose dogs have swallowed pits. Talk to your vet if they start eating the pits or skins of fruits.
In most stone fruits, the pit contains cyanide, a poison that can be fatal if ingested. Only by chewing the pit and swallowing the shards can it be released.
Cyanide poisoning can be lethal in a short amount of time. Even a small amount can cause a dog to become paralyzed or have seizures. Symptoms include excessive salivation, difficulty breathing, and possibly even death.
Because this is an emergency situation, you should call your veterinarian before heading to the animal hospital.
Moldy Dog Cages – While some molds are harmless, others can make your dog sick. This may manifest as anything from a simple stomachache to liver failure to seizures and tremors.
Even though the nectarine is new, the pit may be moldy. This is why you should remove the pit before feeding the nectarine to your dog.
Don’t Feed Your Dog Canned Nectarines
Canned fruits are extremely sugary and should be avoided. Preservatives add a sugary flavor. Their high sugar content is bad for a dog’s health. It’s best to only give your dog freshly picked nectarines.
Toss your dog a few fresh nectarines if you’ve got a few extra. Don’t overdo it, and make sure they’re eating something fresh.
Getting rid of the pit properly will prevent your dog from ingesting the poison and potentially getting sick. To go to the vet because of a tasty summer treat is the last thing anyone wants.