Are Yogurt Covered Raisins Bad for Dogs? 6 Things To Know

It’s no surprise that humans enjoy the sweet and tangy flavor of yogurt-covered raisins. Many pet owners, however, may wonder if their canine companions are actually safe to feed this treat.

Raisins themselves are toxic to dogs, but the question of whether or not yogurt-covered raisins are also bad for dogs becomes more complicated when yogurt is factored in.

Here, we’ll look at the potential dangers of giving yogurt-covered raisins to your dog and offer some suggestions for keeping your pet safe and healthy.

Are Yogurt Covered Raisins Bad for Dogs?

In a nutshell, no, raisins are not safe for canines. Dogs should not eat any amount of raisins, yogurt or not, because they are toxic to dogs.

Help! My Dog Ate a Raisin -

How Many Raisins Will Hurt a Dog?

Avoid giving your dog any dried fruit. The reaction can be triggered by a single raisin.

When consumed by dogs, grapes are highly toxic and can result in kidney failure or even death. All grapes, including dried ones, are toxic to dogs, but the effects may be more severe if your dog eats a lot of them.

Grapes are highly toxic to dogs, and while the specific chemical or substance that causes poisoning is unknown, even a small amount of grapes can have serious consequences.

Doctors in the veterinary field have seen patients in critical condition after eating just one grape, while in other cases, eating several grapes has had no ill effects.

Anyhow, you shouldn’t put your dog in danger for this fruit. That’s why it’s better to be safe than sorry if your dog eats a grape.

  Can Dogs Eat Anchovies? 14 Facts About It

RAISINS, CURRANTS, and SULTANAS (all dried white grape fruit) should be consumed with caution. Miniature pies, hot cross buns, and fruit cake are all included in this category.

Will One Raisin Harm A Dog?

True, a single raisin is toxic to a dog.

While the exact mechanism by which dogs become poisoned after consuming raisins or grapes is not fully understood, it is important to remember that even a small amount of the fruit can have a domino effect on the dog’s health.

There are plenty of other treats that can make your pet happy without putting it in danger of illness or death.

Pin on Desserts

Don’t risk your dog’s health by feeding them grapes or raisins because there’s no way to tell how bad their poisoning will get based on how much they ate.

Instead, take away access to the fruit and make an appointment with your vet or, if it’s after hours, the nearest vet, as they will be in the best position to provide guidance. It’s likely that your vet will ask you to bring your dog in for an appointment.

If this is the case, you should try to get your hands on a sample of the substance they ingested, or at the very least the packaging the fruits came in.

How Soon After Eating Raisins Will a Dog Get Sick?

One of the first signs is nausea and vomiting. It usually happens within a day of ingestion, but it can happen sooner. Appetite loss, fatigue, and maybe even diarrhea could all happen in the next 12 to 24 hours.

  Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Jam? 19 Things You Need To Know

Severe symptoms, however, usually don’t show up until 24-48 hours after ingestion, long after acute kidney damage has already begun.

Acute kidney failure manifests itself through a variety of signs and symptoms, including diarrhoea, frequent urination, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and uremic (ammonia-smelling) breath and urination.

In the later stages of poisoning, the kidneys become ineffective, and the dog may stop urinating.

This causes the dog’s blood pressure to skyrocket. The accumulation of substances that the kidneys would normally excrete through urine can also cause the dog to go into a coma. Kidney failure is associated with a poor prognosis because it reduces urine production.

Yogurt Covered Raisins Bulk – Yogurt Raisins for Sale

How Long Does Raisin Toxicity Take Dogs?

It may take 12-24 hours for the symptoms of currant poisoning, grape poisoning, or a combination of the three to appear.

Unfortunately, the early signs of poisoning from grapes or raisins are non-specific and can be mistaken for those of other conditions, including simple dietary indiscretion. Similar severe symptoms to those of other types of kidney failure are present.

The presence of grapes or raisins in your dog’s vomit, combined with his history of eating grapes, raisins, or currants, will help your vet make a diagnosis of grape or raisin poisoning.

Your veterinarian may also suggest additional diagnostic tests like a complete blood count, serum profile, and urinalysis to assess the level of kidney damage.

The results of the examination will shed light on the patient’s prognosis. Treating toxin poisoning means working to either stop kidney damage from occurring or slow it down significantly.

A veterinarian can immediately administer activated charcoal and induce vomiting. This reduces the likelihood of the poison entering the bloodstream via the digestive tract.

  Can Dogs Eat Pasta? 8 Facts Explained

The dog will still need to vomit up to four to six hours after eating grapes or raisins due to the fact that they take so long to digest.

After the dog has been decontaminated, it may need further treatment, such as aggressive intravenous fluids to shield the kidneys from the toxins.

Medication for dizziness, nausea, and vomiting, kidney support, and blood pressure regulation may also be used.

Snack Recipe: Yogurt-Covered Cranberries | Kitchn

Will Yogurt Hurt Dogs?

Yogurt’s probiotic properties make it a good choice for those looking to improve their digestive health. Dogs can safely consume yogurt, but only plain varieties without any added sugars, whether natural or artificial.

Both humans and dogs should avoid sugar, and some artificial sweeteners, like xylitol, are toxic to animals in general, not just canines.

Yogurt with a lot of active cultures is what you should get. The lower lactose content of this yogurt makes it superior to the standard variety.

Even though yogurt is not poisonous, it may be hard for your dog to digest. After reaching sexual maturity, a dog’s digestive system is no longer adapted to process lactose, and feeding it to the animal can lead to bloat, loose stools, and even vomiting.

Owners of canine companions should think about the fat content of any dairy product they feed their pets. Dogs who consume a diet high in fat are at risk for developing digestive problems and even pancreatitis.

Help! My Dog Ate a Raisin -

Make sure the yogurt doesn’t have the artificial sweetener xylitol, which can be fatal to dogs.

As with any treat, you should begin slowly and observe your dog’s reaction. This treat can be given to him on occasion if he doesn’t show any of the above symptoms.

Leave a Comment