However, starfruit is already an uncommon fruit that is rarely consumed by humans. It’s possible that many people have never heard of a starfruit.
Are you curious about the connection between this unique fruit and canines?
Let’s find out in this article if this fruit is safe for dogs to eat and what kind of nutrients it contains.
Can Dogs Eat Star Fruit?
While star fruit is useful for humans, it should never be fed to a dog. The kidneys can become inflamed and calcified due to the presence of soluble calcium oxalate crystals in star fruit.
Consequences include kidney failure and even death. It is imperative that dog owners know that star fruit is extremely poisonous to dogs and should never be given to their pets as a treat.
What Is Star Fruit?
Citrus fruit known as star fruit (Averrhoa carambola) is indigenous to the warm climates of Southeast Asia. It is also cultivated in the southern United States, the Caribbean, and South Asia. The star-shaped fruit has a neurotoxin called caramboxin.
Despite this, star fruit is perfectly fine to eat and may even have some health benefits for humans. Antioxidants like vitamin C can be found in this food, as can trace amounts of vitamin A, magnesium, and potassium.
Why Is Starfruit Bad For Dogs?
Poisoning from starfruit is a rapid occurrence in dogs after ingestion, especially in toy and miniature dog breeds. The reaction to the fruit is well documented, and the risks should be taken seriously.
The oxalate salts in starfruit can cause poisoning. The intestinal tract of a dog is the primary site of absorption for these salts. The salts then bind to the calcium, which is necessary for their health, and begin to degrade it.
Acute renal failure manifests itself in dogs as vomiting, excessive thirst, urination, blood in the urine, and diarrhea when calcium levels are suddenly disrupted.
The kidneys develop crystals due to the oxalate that is absorbed.
Since smaller dogs become poisoned more quickly, some owners of larger breeds of dogs think it’s okay for their dog to eat starfruit.
However, kidney failure can still result from the accumulation of these oxalate crystals due to the resulting inflammation and calcification.
Due to the high concentration of oxalate salts in starfruit, it only takes eating half a fruit (less than an ounce) to become severely ill.
What Is Star Fruit Poisoning?
Star fruit poisoning in dogs is caused by the soluble calcium oxalate crystals present in the fruit. If dogs consume too much of this chemical, it will damage their kidneys. Calcium oxalate salts chelate in the canine body.
Long-term kidney damage occurs as a result of a precipitous drop in calcium levels and subsequent calcification of the kidneys.
Star fruit poisoning is possible for humans, but it would take eating a lot of them very quickly.
Star fruit poisoning is much more common in dogs than humans because of their small size and special biology. Dogs should never be given star fruit. Blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, watermelon, and cantaloupe are all good sources of vitamin C that could supplement your dog’s diet.
Symptoms of Star Fruit Poisoning in Dogs
Worrying symptoms can arise after a dog eats a star fruit. Drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, excessive thirst or urination, rapid heart rate, bloody urine, and weakness are all possible side effects if your dog eats star fruit.
Acute renal failure (also called acute kidney failure) occurs extremely infrequently. This can be fatal if not treated.
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Starfruit?
Poisoning from starfruit can have serious effects on dogs very quickly. Smaller dog breeds require faster response times when seeking emergency veterinary care.
This is true whether your dog has eaten a small piece or the whole starfruit. In the fight against acute kidney failure, every second counts.
Within one to six hours of ingestion, starfruit poisoning symptoms typically appear in canines. This isn’t a hard and fast rule, though, and you shouldn’t wait around for an hour.
Chronic tachycardia, nausea, vomiting, confusion, seizures, blood in the urine, abdominal swelling, lethargy, weakness, and excessive thirst are all signs of poisoning. In the most severe cases, death occurs shortly after the first signs of illness appear.
There is no guarantee of success with the treatment for this poisoning, and it is a very scary process. The possible health consequences of eating starfruit are not justified.
Treatment of Star Fruit Poisoning in Dogs
There is no star fruit that would be suitable for canines. Never wait for symptoms to appear if you know your dog has eaten any amount of star fruit.
Immediately get in touch with a vet or a pet poison hotline. If your small dog accidentally ingests some star fruit, act quickly before calcium deposits build up.
If your dog, no matter how big, has eaten more than half of a star fruit, they need to be watched closely.