My Dog Ate Chips Ahoy Cookies: 8 Facts To Consider

The fact that you’re worried enough to exclaim, “My dog ate Chips Ahoy cookies!” tells us that. First and foremost, don’t worry; your furry friend will be fine. In this article, we’ll discuss the signs that your dog has eaten Chips Ahoy cookies and what you should do if he or she has.

What are Chips Ahoy Cookies?

Nabisco produces a chocolate chip cookie known as Chips Ahoy Cookies. Cookies come in a variety of flavors, and they’re all delicious. It’s no surprise that both people and dogs enjoy these treats.

The standard recipe for Chips Ahoy Cookies calls for these components:

  • Durum wheat
  • The semisweet chocolate chips listed as the second ingredient.
  • Sugar
  • Rapeseed oil
  • Palm oil
  • HFCS, or high-fructose corn syrup
  • Leavening
  • Salt
  • Both synthetic and naturally-occurring flavors are used.
  • A caramel hue

While Chips Ahoy cookies may be consumed in moderation by humans, the same cannot be said for canines. Will a dog get sick if it eats Chips Ahoy?

Well, at least I can eat my Chips Ahoy with a spoon now… :  r/mildlyinfuriating

Chips Ahoy Cookies & Dogs

Chips Ahoy cookies are extremely dangerous for dogs. The primary problem is that semi-sweet chocolate is used in these otherwise delicious cookies.

Dogs shouldn’t eat any kind of chocolate because it’s toxic to them. Because chocolate contains two substances that are toxic to dogs. Theobromine and caffeine are the names of these chemicals.

Dogs, unlike their human guardians, cannot quickly break down the stimulants theobromine and caffeine. This means that the substances have a greater opportunity to accumulate in the dog’s system and cause harm.

  Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin? 11 Facts You Can’t Deny

A dog can get sick from the high levels of sugar, fats, and salt in these cookies.

Additionally, some dogs may experience gastrointestinal distress or a skin reaction due to an allergy to one of the many ingredients in these cookies.


My Dog Ate Chips Ahoy Cookies – Should I Worry?

You’ll need to calculate how many chocolate chip cookies your dog ate if he or she ate Chips Ahoy cookies. Although your dog probably won’t get sick from eating one Chips Ahoy cookie, consuming an entire bag at once is probably not a good idea.


Read on to find out how seriously you should be concerned that your dog ate Chips Ahoy cookies.

Dog Ate Half a Chocolate Chip Cookie

Don’t freak out if Fido scarfed down a few chocolate chip cookies. It’s likely that your dog will be fine.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the warning indicators described below. Do not hesitate to contact your vet if you notice any of the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your dog.

Dog Ate 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies

You should know that two chocolate chip cookies could be toxic to your dog. To poison a dog with chocolate, you’d need to give them a lot. Obviously, the toxic effects of chocolate can be seen much more rapidly in smaller dogs than in larger ones.

Review: Choco Chunky Chips Ahoy! Cookies | Brand Eating

Dog Ate a Dozen Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you say your dog ate a dozen or a whole bag of Chips Ahoy cookies, you should schedule an appointment with your vet right away.

Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 if your vet clinic is closed.

To reduce the likelihood of serious illness, you shouldn’t wait for your dog to show symptoms of chocolate toxicity before removing the chocolate cookies from his system.

  Can Dog Eat Raw Pork? 10 Important Facts

What Happens When Dogs Eat Chocolate

Dogs can die from eating chocolate, but it’s usually not a big deal. Theobromine is an ingredient in chocolate. Theobromine is a cardiovascular stimulant and vasodilator that also causes urination.

Chocolate contains both the diuretic caffeine and the heart stimulant theobromine.

How Much Chocolate Hurts Dogs?

If you eat the wrong kind of chocolate, you could die. You’ll find twice as much theobromine in dark and baking chocolate as you will in milk or semisweet chocolate. The theobromine content of white chocolate is the lowest of any chocolate type.

Semisweet chocolate is used in the production of Chips Ahoy cookies.


For reference, a 50-pound dog would need 1 ounce of dark or baker’s chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate, to possibly show signs of chocolate toxicity.

Half an ounce of dark or baker’s chocolate, and 4 or 5 ounces of milk chocolate, are required for a 20-pound dog.

How badly chocolate affects your stomach depends on how sensitive your stomach is. Some dogs, especially those with sensitive stomachs, may experience negative effects from even the smallest amount of chocolate.

Remember that it’s not just the chocolate in Chips Ahoy cookies that can make a dog sick. When digested, the cookies’ sugar and fat can lead to severe digestive issues like pancreatitis.

This is something to think about if your dog has a habit of eating fatty foods, even though it can take a lot on a regular basis to cause this type of illness.

Symptoms of Chips Ahoy Cookies Ingestion in Dogs

If your dog has eaten Chips Ahoy Cookies, he or she may exhibit the following symptoms:

1 Million Ways To Enjoy Chips Ahoy! • #421 Cookie Shaker - YouTube

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • There is an escalation in both thirst and urination.
  • Pulse rate skyrockets
  • Restlessness
  • Panting
  • Shaking muscles
  • Seizures
  • Weak heart
  • Tough Breathing

Please contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog has consumed any kind of cookie, especially one containing chocolate. It’s possible that this is an urgent situation.

  Can My Dog Eat Yams? Including Leaves, Stems, Seeds

The best course of action is to contact your vet and give them as much information as possible about what your dog ate, when they ate it, and how much they ate. Your veterinarian can determine if your dog has consumed a lethal dose of chocolate by weighing the amount your dog has eaten.

If your dog recently ingested the cookies, they will work to decontaminate their system by making them sick and giving them activated charcoal, which binds toxins in the digestive tract.

As other symptoms manifest, they will attend to those as well. They might order a blood test to look for signs of pancreatitis, which can develop after consuming high-fat or high-sugar foods.

Dogs with the best prognoses are the ones who get to the vet right away. Keep these cookies safe and secure from your dog if he’s a fan. The best cure is a healthy body and mind.

My Dog Ate Chips Ahoy Cookies: How to Prevent Reoccurrence

Dog owners are well aware of the risks associated with chocolate. Because of this, the phrase “my dog ate Chips Ahoy cookies” often appears in internet searches.

Dog for adoption - Chips Ahoy, a Shar-Pei in Roswell, GA | Petfinder

There’s no need for us to tell you that removing all temptation from the house will help prevent this from happening again. Mishaps and break-ins are inevitable.

If you’re worried about your pet’s well-being after an incident, calling the vet is the best course of action.

Unless the dog ate a very large amount of chocolate, the above symptoms are the ones most often mentioned by veterinarians to dog owners as indicators of chocolate toxicity. In that case, early intervention might be necessary.

We at Dog Owner’s Manual hope that your canine companion will recover quickly from this chocolate binge and that it will never happen again.

Leave a Comment